e-Governance is to provide SIMPLE(S), MORAL(M), ACCOUNTABLE(A), RESPONSIVE(R) and TRANSPARENT(T) i.e. SMART Government. The resulting benefits are less corruption, transparency, paperless offices, greater convenience, revenue growth and/or cost effectiveness. Minimum agenda for each Ministry/Department for an effective e-Governance is expected to be -
- To provide PCs with necessary software, including LAN up to a certain level.
- Training of all staff members who are expected to use computer through Learning Centres for decentralized training in computers.
- To start using the NIC's Office Procedure Automation software to keep a record of all receipts, issue of letters, and movement of files.
- Pay roll accounting and other house-keeping software for day-to-day operations.
- (a) Notices and circulars to be circulated by e-mail.
(b) Submission of applications and official Notes/notings to be done electronically.
(c) To set up online notice board to display orders, circulars etc.
- To use the web-enabled DAR & PG Grievance Redressal Software.
- To have its own website specifically containing a section in which various forms to be used by citizens/customers are available. The forms to be available for being printed out, completed and submission on the computer itself.
- All Acts, Rules, Circulars to be converted into electronic form and along with other published material of interest or relevance to the public be made available on the internet and be accessible from the Information and Facilitation Counter.
- The version of the websites be developed simultaneously in national and regional languages.
- To make efforts to develop packages so as to begin electronic delivery of services to the public.
- To have an overall IT version of strategy for a specific period, within which it could dovetail specific action plans and targets (including the minimum agenda) to be implemented within one year.
In view of above, a large number of the service customer care e-services have already been initiated. Among them, the most important is the website of the Union Deptt of Administrative Reforms & Public Grievances regarding Citizens' Charters. It can be logged on www.goicharters.nic.in
For complaints & suggestions log on to : http://darpg-grievance.nic.in
Grievances in Central Governments
To provide more responsive and citizen-friendly services, a public grievance redress machinery, headed by a senior officer as Director of Grievances, has been set up in each Ministry/Department vested with the powers to call for files/papers relating to grievance. He/she is supposed to be available on every Wednesday between 1000and 1300 hours. Grievance petition should include the following information –
- Name & address of the Complainant
- Specifics of Grievance
- Designation & full address of the authority approached earlier
- Reference Number/date of the communication of the concerned authority, if any
For Grievance against Cabinet Sectt., write to :
Directorate of Public Grievances, Cabinet Secretariat,
For consumer-related information & guidance:
National Helpline to register complaints on line – www.nationalconsumerhelpline.in
|Central Deptt. of Consumer Affairs|
Online resolution of consumer disputes
Toll-free National Consumer Helpline
Administrative Reforms Deptt., Delhi
National Commission for Women
For online registration
National Legal Services Authority
Some of the government and consumer organisation websites where one can lodge consumer complaints in India are:
(Courtesy of Shri Mohan Siroya of Consumer Complaints Cell)
Addresses of other important websites are as follows
|Supreme Court of India|
Union Public Service Commission
Registrar of Newspapers for India
Information on Income Tax
To file e-Income Tax Return through Private Consultants
| e-Return Intermediary Cell|
Ministry of Human Resources
Info. on Higher Edu. & Edu. Loans
Info. on Scholarships in
University Grants Commission
Central Board of Secondary Education
Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) : Institutions seeking affiliations will have to fill the form and attach corresponding documents online. The application will have to be tendered a year in advance.
| SMS to 7245 with 10-digit PNR number to find Reservation Status|
Reply till reservation status changes from irctc.co.in
(service description on website)
Railway Passenger Reservation System
E-Tickets can be booked at
Telephone Public Grievance Cell
|Call for complaints|
198 or Call - 011-23356666
Delhi MTNL on Internet
National AIDS Control Org.
Bureau of Police Research & Development (BPRD)
Mail your grievance and confidential information Commissioner of Police, Post Box No. 171, GPO, N. Delhi
Delhi Traffic Police
Joint Commissioner of Police, Traffic
DCP/Traffic-New Delhi Range
Government of NCT of Delhi
Public Grievance Commission
(online reg. of grievances)
Delhi Dte. of Employment for online
Deptt. of Excise
For information/complaint, e-mail
Delhi Deptt. of Transport
For filling Form 16 for registration in the Electoral Rolls of Delhi
Municipal Corp. of Delhi
Delhi Jal Board
For Value Added Tax (VAT)
Delhi Commission for Women
Easy Bill - To pay your Bills
Ministry of Co. Affairs
Grievance against RBI, New Delhi
To become an Informed Investor (cos. / individuals penalised for eco. defaults )
Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs Toll-free 24X7 Helpline No. 1800-11-3090
(For Overseas Indian Workers,
Victims of NRI marriages, etc.
Private Helplines for victims of NRI marriages
Website of ICP (International Council of Punjabis) – www.icpunjabis.com
Can also contact - Redcross Bhawan, Garhshankar (Hoshiarpur)